CLEARING BY TELEPHONE: “NEXUS” OR “1-68” PROGRAMS
Only two U.S. government programs allow boaters to clear Customs and Border Protection by telephone. They are “NEXUS” and “I-68”. In order to use either of these programs ALL persons aboard the vessel must possess either “NEXUS” or “I-68” permits. To clear, the master of the vessel must report “NEXUS” or “I-68” numbers and name for each permit holder aboard.
For clearance by telephone, masters, crew and passengers call 1 800 562 5943
If there are ANY people aboard who do not have these permits, the master of the vessel must call for a physical inspection by Customs and Border Protection.
ELIGIBILITY, REQUIREMENTS, PROCESS AND COSTS
(The granting of these permits is conditioned upon several requirements and activities that are beyond the scope of this “summary”)
Costs are as follows:
- “NEXUS” – $50 per person valid for 5 years
- “I-68” – $16 per person valid for 1 year ($32 for a family)
WITHOUT NEXUS OR I-68 FOR ALL PERSONS ABOARD (PHYSICAL INSPECTION REQUIRED)
The master of the vessel seeking to clear must call via telephone for a physical inspection and be able to supply the following information:
- Vessel – registration or documentation numbers;
- Persons – For Non “NEXUS” and Non “I-68” persons a passport and photo identification
For physical inspection at Point Roberts masters must telephone 360 945 5211
***NEW REPORTING OPTION*** September 12th, 2018
The CBP ROAM app is a free mobile application that provides an option for pleasure boaters to report their U.S. entry to CBP via their personal smart device to satisfy the reporting requirements.
The CBP ROAM app also qualifies as an Alternative Inspection System that satisfies the boat operator’s legal requirement to report for
face-to-face inspection in accordance with 8 CFR 235.1 with some exceptions:
- Travelers who require an I-94;
- Travelers who wish to obtain a cruising license;
- Travelers who must pay duties on imported goods; and
- Other circumstances as applicable.
More information can be found at: